In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 444
Online now 682 Record: 6210 (3/13/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Let's just say Stoops and Company wants to add 10 more guys to the mix for the 2013 class.. Yes, this may mean that some on the current roster being asked to look around, but, if 10 is the number, what 10 would you add that would be the best fits for the team and in what order? here's mine:
1) DL/DE - Jarran Reed - This guy is the highest rated defensive lineman on the board and he can play DE as well as DT, so, that versatility makes him a very valuable addition, especially since we're thin at the DE spot, even with Smith..Also has a very nice offer sheet and it's my belief that for UK to really make a push forward in the SEC, it all starts in the trenches..
2) WR - Shelton Gibson - Again, highest rated WR on the board and an opportunity to make a big statement in the state of Ohio, an area we've had alot of problems cracking, not to mention our need at this position.. Plus, beating out tOSU for a recruit is a big feather in the hat..
3) OL - Hunter Bivin - Although OL isn't as big a need position as WR/LB/DE, we're still awfully thin after the starting 5, at least, awfully unproven and getting the top KY HS talent is important for the future of the program..
4) DB - Alexander Mackensie - We need help in the secondary and he's the best available on our board and to beat out the big boys for him would open alot of eyes around the country, not only to the other teams, but, more importantly, to other top recruits, not to mention, he'd likely bring Macendro with him, who, is good enough in his own right, to earn playing time early..
5) WR - Ryan Timmons - Same as with Bivins, getting the top in-state talent goes a long ways for future recruiting, plus, we need more than just 1 or 2 WRs this year and this is a guy, even if not in the 2 deep, can provide alot of help on kick and punt returns as he's a threat every time he touches the ball..
6) DT - Ben Bradley - Because he's strickly an inside lineman, I didn't put him as high as I did Reed, but, he's a guy that will play immediately and the fact we'd be taking him away from other, more prestigious SEC schools would be a great resume builder for Stoops and Company, plus, the guy's damn good and we need players like him to compete in the SEC...
7) DB - Jaleel Hytchye - Another Ohio product with alot of solid offers that can match up one on one with the speedy WRs across the country.. Adding 3-4 from Ohio would be an even bigger statement to where the programs heading and we need the Cinci area that produces a ton of D1 players every year..
8) LB - George Williams - Best LB on our board in a real need position as we have very little quality depth there, even if Dupree stays at LB..
9) QB - Asiantti Woulard - I don't think QB is as big a need position as the others above, so, he's not as high as some others, but, anytime you can get a top 5 QB, be it dual threat or pro style, you take it and the fact that he won the MVP at the Elite 11 Camp, really puts UKs name out there to alot of the big recruits that may otherwise never look at us, so, he's still a big land if we could get him..
10) RB - Jojo Kemp - RB, imo, isn't a great need, but, after hearing what the coaching staff had to say, we may ought to add another RB and Kemp, being teammates of Woulard and one of the top RBs on the board, he seems like the natural fit here..
RB/DB - A.Turner - The fact that he can help on both sides of the ball makes him a valuable pickup..
DB - N.Willis - Being a JUCO guy, he's the type player that can help immediately and has great size and speed for a DB..
WR - D. Samples - I'd have him slightly behind Shelton and Timmons, but, still a guy who you'd love to have on your team and at a need position..
OL/DL - L. Peterson - Again, a guy capable of playing on either side of the ball is always a valuable commodity and he's another Ohio kid..
DL - L.Jackson - A heck of a backup plan should Bradley or Reed not work out and one that could provide immediate help..
DL/OL - M.Swain - Need to keep that Lagrange pipeline going and another 2 way player with a ton of upside either way..
Ath - Rodney Adams - This guy may not be in my Top 10, but, he can absolutely play the game and has speed galore and athleticism is off the chart..
I would drop Jojo Kemp and replace him with either Peterson or Samples. I think UK has plenty of RBs right now who are talented, and Samples is an Under Armor All-American which is a great honor as is being an US Army All-American, and Peterson is ranked a top 10 C by multiple scouting services, plus being an Ohio kid from a pretty good program would also help long term recruiting in Ohio.
I like the list and believe it is pretty solid, I would be extremely excited about this class if UK did land your above mentioned players.
Any combination of that group of players would be fine by me and also the best class on paper we have seen. Signing day is gonna be a blast !!
Nice work and an excellent list!! If we can sign any combination of your top ten plus honorable mention list I believe we may truly have seen the official turn of Kentucky football toward being able to compete with the SEC elite. However, I thought when we hired Bill Curry that we had made the turn. Sorry to bring that up, but this seems much different from the Curry hire based on the excitement surrounding the Stoops hire and the great coaches/recruiters he has brought on board. Can't wait for signing day and the season to start. We should really promote and try to have a huge turnout for the spring game.Who says we can't tailgate in the spring??!!! GO CATS!!!
1. Woulard easily. Program changing signee in this offense if we get him. QB is always a priority and one who can throw exceptionally well and who can also run is as rare as it gets.
2. Bradley. Monster DTs are like platinum. Second most sought after position after QB on any team IMO.
3. Alexander. Pure speed and a guy who would be a dynamic returner and situational receiver as well. UK needs PLAYMAKERS desperately.
4. Gibson. See #3.
5, 6, 7, 8. Samples, Adams, Timmons, Turner. See #4 and #5.
9. Reed. Another big strong D Lineman.
10. Hytchye. Behind QB and DT, CB is tied with OT as the most important spot to fill IMO. Hytchye could also factor into the return game.
- Not bad, but I'd replace Bivins with Meadows or maybe Swain - no way Bivins gives up the Notre Dame ride (I'd say are chances are much better with Hatcher than Bivins - and I don't think we land Hatcher)
- I'd replace Gibson with Samples, Blue or maybe Montgomery
- If Timmons decides to become a "Worthless Nut", then I'd say that Badget gets that ride
- I've got a feeling that Turner may be there instead of Kemp - Chestnut may surprise though
- I believe at least 2-4 holdover commits won't be on the list by the time the smoke clears (including Smith and at least one, if not two OL's).
- I believe there will be a Center added and guess it will be Peterson
- if not Alexander, then Willis. If Mackenro is a deal breaker and he qualifies they will find room for him to land Mackensie
- I believe they will add at least two LB's - Williams and either Love or Riley would be my guess
- I think we get Bradley or Reed, but not both
- I believe there will be at least one (and maybe two) pleasant shocker(s) come Signing Day that none of us see coming.
- I believe there will be 12 or 13 more committments taken with rides coming from currently committed guys dropping by the wayside, maybe a grayshirt or two and attrition from the current roster..
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by bluedynasty 15 months ago
The great thing is, I listed 10 and then 6 more honorable mentions and there are still several really good players not on these lists that I'd be ecstatic to have.. Blue, Valdes, Dawkins, Grant, Hatcher, McCary...
I think that's a great list. Here is my wish list. I've only listed 9 bc as of now, we have to jucos signed and 14 verbals.
1) Woulard. QB
2) Hatcher. DE
3) Bradley. DT
4) Reed. DT
5) Timmons. WR
6) Bivens. OL
7 & 8) Alexander twins. DBs
9) Samples. WR
I can't help but thinking that based on the net the staff has cast, a few current commits don't end up at UK. My list doesn't include a RB or LB, plus only one OL
I'm very interested to see how this plays out. Guys like Swain, Peterson, Meadows, Badet are all guys we have a great chance for. Have to think they would make room.
Nobody is treating LB as a priority, but I think LB and DE are very important positions to get top notch guys. So far we have one DE, but he is a JUCO so his stay is short term. WR is also important, but has got to be the right guy/guys. I would rather have Sweat get his grades up first. As far as the names, I defer to the coaches. I can rattle off names, but would rather the coaches pick the guys they feel they can coach. Highlight videos and offer lists don't mean a whole lot when moving to the next level. Desire to compete at the highest level is what I want the coaches to strive for when choosing their new players.
Remember, JRowland was told the #1 thing that Stoops and Co noticed when they looked at the roster was UK's size, or lack thereof. He said UK's main priority is adding "bigger bodies". That means massive upgrades along the OL, DL, and LB are ultimately the key to UK moving forward.
Yes, it's great seeing all of these skill position players and DBs visiting UK, because UK needs help there, too. But make no mistake, until UK gets serious about OL, DL, and LB, they'll have the same problems they've always had.
The good news is that Stoops recognizes this and is working his butt of to fix it. Would really like to see us add Meadows, Bradley, Reed and an impact LB and another DE.
Exactly the reason I had Reed, Bivin and Bradley so high on the wish list.. Also, why I put a LB on there, but, as far as DE goes, outside of Hatcher, who's a longshot, at best, there's not anyone I've seen or heard about on UKs radar that would be an upgrade over what we have and I still have high hopes for guys like Hugenin, Bell and Newton and if we could land a LB like Williams and put Dupree at DE, I think we may end up better than expected there..
I don't get how people are counting OT and DE as priorities right now. We simply cannot take another OT in this class without trimming one of our commits or scholly holding OTs. As of now, we will have 9 OTs on our roster next year, which ridiculous considering our WR situation, which could shake out very bad for us considering grade issues with current players and who our competition is for some of these prospects. We need Blue, Timmons, Samples, and anyone else we can get.
As for DE, with the additions of Bell and Smith, we have Dupree (?), Smith, Huguenin, Paschal (?), Davis, Douglas (?), Newton, and Bell. A couple of those could end up elsewhere position wise but in a 4-3, it's hard to believe Paschal or Dupree could cover well enough in space to play LB. Also Douglas could go either way between DE or DT. I could see taking a scholly here, but only if a 'best available' scenario presents itself (Hatcher), otherwise we have much more pressing needs on both sides of the ball.
Bottom line: We only have 10 schollys left without pulling any, and we need ATLEAST 3 WRs (probably more if quality is available), CBs, LBs, and DTs. We need a mix of JUCO and freshman talent to give balance as well, sometng the previous staff failed miserably at providing.
The UK coaches feel otherwise.
This is not who I hope we will get but who I think we will get:
QB A Woulard
RB A Turner
WR J Blue
WR J Badet
WR R Timmons
O/DL L Peterson
O/DL M Swain
LB D Riley
CB N Willis
That's true but I'm afraid of loading up on certain positions like RB
They anticipate some attrition there if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly.
A lot of these "RB's" may end up as slot receivers or hybrid RB/Slot-types. Khalid Thomas and Aregeros Turner could both be switched to CB of they came also,
This post was edited by bluedynasty 15 months ago
Any chance at all to flip Biven from ND? Their staff is high on him and have not stopped showing their interest.
Slim and none. No sense getting all down when one of the kids we're recruiting goes elsewhere but by getting Hytchye we are ahead of the game. People need to understand we are still recruiting 50 or so guys for 10 spots which means 4 of every 5 or more we won't get.
This post was edited by IamRV 15 months ago
I may be wrong, but, for some reason, I don't think Boynton, Smith and Battle end up Cats.. With the way the staff is going after DBs, WRs and OL, you have to think they aren't convinced what we have currently recruited, is SEC caliber and these 3 seem to be the ones at there positions with the most question marks.. Don't get me wrong, if they all stay, I'm fine with that, just get the feeling there's going to be some atrition in the current class. I'm sure there's also going to be some on the current roster, but, more unsure of who that may be. I'd say 1 or 2 of the TEs, a couple of the DBs, maybe an OL and RB, just not sure who? And, who knows who may qualify and who won't with guys like Sweat, Cobbins and Caffey having some prior grade issues..
This post was edited by bluecatntn 15 months ago
Boynton, Smith and Battle won't be Cats and are pursuing other options. There may be others that don't make the cut but that will depend on who else might be available to us by Feb 6.
Sorry, but I just don't like to speculate on current Cats and their future eligibility until announcements are made. Sure, there will be some attrition, there always is but to pick on individual players seems particularly insensitive IMHO. These kids train and work hard for our University and should be treated with respect.
RV, have you heard good things regarding Duke Riley? I noticed that you listed him in the group you thought UK would get. He would be a monster addition at OLB.
I'm very high on George Williams at MLB, even though he is lightly recruited, because he has a nasty attitude and enough athleticism to play in the middle in this scheme. Haven't heard anything about him since it was reported that UK offered.
Edit: I might be wrong about him being lightly recruited. Still curious about his interest in UK.
This post was edited by JDHLaw11 15 months ago
Yes, I believe we are in good shape on Riley but like you haven't heard anything much at all about Williams.
I agree with this. With the misses at LB of Tim Patterson and Ridge Wilson, would like to see some more beef at this position.
re: TJ Jones
Looks like we might be reducing by one the number of OTs on the roster
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports