In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1024
Online now 411 Record: 6210 (3/13/2012)
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Gov Beshear appointed David Wiliiams (Sen Pres) to a seat on the judicial bench. If nothing else, this gets the largest single, and most powerful roadblock in the legislative process out of the legislative path. Though I'm sure there are probably others that will try to block any bonding, but this is a huge hurdle out of the way.
Do you really think that Williams is the reason why UK doesn't have better football facilities?
did you read his post?
Actually he is about 80% of the reason. The economy is the other 20%.
Why is he a road block? I have no idea and would appreciate an explanation.
I sure hope you're right.
For uk to borrow money/bond any major project like a football stadium renovation they have to get approval from the legislature for more "bonding capacity". Williams has not allowed much new bonding at all for any projects in the last 6 years or so. He can do this as the leader of the state senate.
Other schools in the sec have their own bonding capacity and don't need the State's approval.
Assume the economy turns around, the Mayan apocolypse never materializes and David Williams is donning the black robe....
How long will it take the UK BOT/AD to put forth a plan under the States nose for a major athletics capital improvements?
Further, what do YOU PREDICT the percentage of bonding pie will be exclusively allocated to football improvements?
time - 3 years
FB % - 44%
New hoops arena will be front burner...you watch.
They are proposing a plan in January at the special session. The basketball arena is in the City's hads. The AD is hoping to get approximately $150 million in bonding capacity with roughly $100 million going to football. I think $85 million towards CWS upgrades including, but not limited, more suites, new press box, club level seating, chairbacks, recruiting room, new fascade on the Alumni Drive side, etc. Plus $5 million for Nutter Training Center improvements. They also want a new baseball stadium and other small sport improvement. I think the AD would like to have the football project fully completed by the 2015 season with construction starting in 2013. We will see what happens in Frankfort.
I so hope that you're right...
I am still emotionally scarred by the IMG debacle. What was once a comprehensive football master plan, was quickly submarined as a basketball folly.
In any case lets pray that this gets traction.
With Mitch's record in mind, the "hoops arena" will be third in the financial pecking order behind the newly formed Men's Left-handed Ping Pong Team and the soon-to-be-proposed Ladies' Rhythmic Umbrella Dance Team.
Yep, can see this going down the same road. Might start to hear the Big O and Jones start talking about the structural instability of Commonwealth Stadium again. Idiots...
Funny thing about that IMG deal - there's a guy who's posted in this thread that would spout off "done deal" anytime anyone questioned that whole debacle when it was "in progress." I have as much faith in this next big "bonding plan"... Barnhart is a joke, and just keeps playing us like puppets.
I never said it was a done deal. Not sure who you are talking about.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports