In partnership with CBSSports.com
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Will Jeff be replaced? If not, how will football recruiting be handled?
For the time being myself as well as James Pennington, will be picking up the slack in the football recruiting department.
Since I did not see what transpired, what happened for Jeff to leave?
Just a professional decision on Jeff's part.
This post was edited by Chris Fisher 21 months ago
Chris, any luck getting in touch with any of those kids I listed in the other thread yesterday?
Chris, you do a great job....thanks for all the information you bring here!
I'm concerned about "for the time being" as you used in your response to the OP. Quite difficult to calculate the amount of time inferred by your use of "for the time being". That could be weeks, months, a year or even years. Jeff seemed to have a niche in bringing us quite a bit of football recruiting content and frankly, I doubt that trying to spread it around between you and JP is going to cut it (from a paying subscribers point of view).
I can only speak for myself, but the primary reason I first came to Kentucky Ink before it was acquired by 247 was for the football information and the football discussions. Am I a football only or football first fan? Absolutely not, but paying for football related content is exactly what I'm looking for with my subscription here. I can get all the basketball content I want elsewhere and in an abundance. I had really hoped that this was the place to fill the void that I perceive is out there for UK football content (both quantity and quality).
You fill that void, you provide that niche the best, then IMO this site will thrive with a base of loyal paying-members. Absent that, I think this site becomes just another also ran.
Am I saying to slack off the basketball recruiting coverage, you know the Peach Jam (right in the heart of when we had the highest profile football recruit on campus in the past few years)...no, I am not. I am saying bring us the best damn football recruiting and football related content in a timely manner that is available on the internet. Bring it to us and show us you are committed to bringing it to us by actions. Do it on a daily and timely basis. Not here and there, and not a week later. Bring us fresh and timely content. Don't delay in getting us the information by worrying about whether everything is pretty in appearance and done just right by old guard journalistic standards.
Not replacing Jeff, but instead spreading it around existing staff, suggests that this site is not committed to bringing us the best football related content on the Web. It suggests instead that the decision has been made to cut corners "for the time being". Well, when you cut corners, there's a good chance that something will suffer. What will that be? Football recruiting and football related content?
Lastly, when one of us paying members (clients) comes on here and asks (begs) for more football recruiting and football related content, please do not let Matt May come on here posting his "rolls eyes" smiley face. Or erase it as quickly as possible so that most of us don't see it. It's quite demeaning and is a totally inappropriate way to respond to us rank-n-file paying-members. That type of disrespect has a way of making many subscribers just head for the hills...if you know what I mean.
As I mentioned in the opening line, Chris, you do a great job...consistently. I'm hoping for the best outcome here; I'm hoping you guys make the decision to commit yourselves to bringing it when it comes to football (recruiting) content, discussions, insight, insider info, etc. Otherwise, come a year from now, I'm afraid you'll be able to hear echos around here...and I for one, don't want that!
Truly hoping and wishing for the best!
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by ShockeyFork 21 months ago
Jeff will not be replaced because there is no replacement for Jeff. There was no replacement for him at Rivals and there will be no replacement for him here. That said, I hope 24/7 hires someone to supplement the great work that the staff here does.
On a differnt note (at least I think its a different note), Has the CJ hired anyone to replace their three departures?
Where did Jeff D. go? If you cannot post on this thread please send email if you have information. Thank you.
Great Post! These are my feelings and thoughts as well! GO CATS!!!!
I will add that since Jeff left the football coverage has continued to be very good. Just not sure if it is possible (or fair to even ask) for others to take up the slack without hiring another person.Things are looking very good with recruiting. I truly believe that if we can hold our own and someone get 6 wins and go to a bowl that Kentucky football could be in for a special run. GO CATS!!!!!
I'd say that pretty much sums it up. Timeliness of info over artistic content in the form of a (delayed) journalistic article should always take priority in today's age of internet reporting.
"something is rotten in Demark" Did someone sleep with someone?
With all due respect to the interested parties, a lot of what is contained in this thread is simply unfair and what follows is more or less my state of the union of this site moving forward.
I go back a long way with a lot of you guys from the old Kentucky Ink days and I appreciate every, single one of our subscribers no matter how long you have been with us. You guys are the ones that allow us to do what we love to do and I'll always be grateful for that.
That being said, I can't allow you guys to take public swings at this site and those that bust their butts to bring you the coverage and information you so desperately crave.
– Matt is one of maybe 2-3 reporters that is at practice every, single day in an age where there are more "Twitter reporters" that cover things from home than ever before. He's one of the biggest grinders there is in this market. Period.
– Secondly, you don't just replace Jeff. You just don't. He's an invaluable resource and a true pro's pro. Trust me, no one wanted to see Jeff leave any less than I did. I have a huge appreciation for what he does and in a lot of ways, look at him as my mentor in this business. I've learned a ton working under him and we've gotten very close professionally but at the end of the day, he did what he felt was best for he and his family. As far as where he is going, I think that is best left to Jeff to announce on his own terms. And in no way am I in charge of the personnel decisions of this site so I can't say definitively at this time how we will go about attempting to pick up the slack. That's as honest as I can be. I just work here
– While I will always look back upon the old KI days fondly, this isn't Kentucky Ink. This is CatsPause. If it wasn't for the support we receive from 247, I honestly don't think KI would still exist today. I really don't. We cannot survive or thrive by being a "football only" site nor is that what we strive to be. If you beg to differ, the numbers and statistics certainly are not in your corner. We pride ourselves on providing balanced coverage of UKAthletics and recruiting, both football and basketball.
– I do my best to cater my recruiting coverage and tailor it to my readers' wants and needs. I feel like I always give you guys an honest day's work and speaking honestly, I would put my recruiting coverage (and this site's coverage in general), both quality and quantity, up against anyone else's in this market. That's just how I feel. That said, it can't and won't be all-football/all the time.
– Obviously, this site is going through a transitional period right now and I would just ask that you guys exercise a little bit of patience with us as we get our feet underneath us moving forward. That would be greatly appreciated and I promise if you do, you won't regret it.
Thanks guys. I hope you can appreciate and respect my honesty as much as I appreciate and respect yours.
That usually happens if a similar post - request has been made previously.
Some people don't read all posts and hence duplicates occur. They are deleted.
I am who I am, said he who is. 15,235
Somehow this is all Mitch's fault, I think....
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports