This week marked the opening of exhibition play in the NFL. Several former Wildcats were in action, including linebacker Braxton Kelley trying to earn a job with the Denver Broncos.
Braxton Kelley led the Broncos in tackles Friday night against Dallas.
Here's a roundup of how the Kentucky alumni fared:
* Braxton Kelley, LB, Denver Broncos -- Kelley is trying to win a roster spot alongside a couple of former teammates in the Mile HIgh City. He may get a longer look after Friday's team-high seven tackles in the Broncos' 24-23 loss to Dallas. He was credited with four solo tackles.
* Wesley Woodyard, LB, Denver Broncos -- Kelley's high school and college teammate (By the way, how cool is that for the old LaGrange friends go through this many stages of their football careers together?) had two tackles against the Cowboys.
* Jeremy Jarmon, DL, Denver Broncos -- There were no stats listed for Jarmon in the Dallas game. Not sure if he was active for this one. We're seeking confirmation, but reports out of Denver have the staff high on Jarmon after acquiring him from the Washington Redskins in a trade this summer.
* Randall Cobb, WR/KR, Green Bay Packers -- The rookie looked like a seasoned veteran in the Packers' 27-17 loss to the Browns. Cobb led the team with 60 receiving yards on three catches, including a long of 28 yards. He also returned two kickoffs for 58 yards. He is thought to be the frontrunner for Green Bay's main kickoff return duties.
* Tim Masthay, P, Green Bay Packers -- The specialist for the world champions picked up where he left off a year ago with five punts for 261 yards (52.2 average), a long of 60 and one inside the 20 yard line.
Derrick Locke, RB, Philadelphia Eagles -- Locke looked good on his two rushing attempts in the Eagles' 13-6 win over the Baltimore Ravens. He had a 12-yard carry and a 3-yard rush.
* Stevie Johnson, WR, Buffalo Bills -- Johnson has emerged as Buffalo's top receiving target following the recent trade of Lee Evans. He had three catches for 15 yards in a 10-3 loss to the Chicago Bears.
Corey Peters, DT, Atlanta Falcons -- Peters had two solo tackles in the Falcons' 28-23 loss to the Miami Dolphins.
DeQuin Evans, LB, Cincinnati Bengals Trying to convert to an outside linebacker with Cincy, Evans recorded one tackle and one quarterback hurry in the Bengals' 34-3 loss to the Detroit Lions.
Mike Hartline, QB, Indianapolis Colts -- Hartline attempted two passes (both incomplete) late in the Colts' 33-10 loss to the St. Louis Rams.
Jacob Tamme, TE, Indianapolis Colts -- Tamme caught one pass for 11 yards in the Colts' loss to the Rams.
Micah Johnson, LB, Kansas City Chiefs -- Johnson recorded four tackles (3 solo) and one tackle for loss in the Chiefs' 25-0 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Glenn Pakulak, P, Oakland Raiders -- He'll have a difficult challenge trying to unseat one of the league's best veteran punters in Shane Lechler, but Pakulak punted twice for a 40.5 average with one inside the 20 in a 24-18 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.
Alfonso Smith, RB, Arizona Cardinals -- Smith led the Cardinals with 30 yards rushing on five carries with a long run of 8 yards against the Raiders.
* Possible DNPs: Myron Pryor (NE), Trevard Lindley (PHI) and Ricky Lumpkin (ARZ) were not listed in the official game reports from this weekend.
* Monday Night: Fullback John Conner is in action with the New York Jets against the Houston Texans.
Anyone we missed? Let us know! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Already have an account? Sign In